Sunday, September 9, 2012

Chapter 8: #3

One concept I found very interesting was the Hypothetical Syllogisms, especially the Chain Argument. I found this to me most interesting because I feel that I use this kind of argument to back up my points. Chain arguments are made up of three propositions that are all linked. The third proposition is the conclusion while the other two are each premises. A chain argument is similar to a chain of events meaning B is true because of A, and because B is true C is true, therefore C is true because of A. Chain arguments can be even longer than three events in the chain and can go up to very long chains. An example can be:

A. If the internet goes down, I can not do my homework.
B. If I can not do my homework, I will not get credit.
C. If the internet goes down, I will not get credit.

I believe that the Chain Argument is a very good way of having valid reasoning but still does have its flaws. Chain arguments can lead to some assumptions, and those are not always valid. This is why, not only this section, but the whole chapter was very interesting to me. It was good to see new ways of reasoning and arguments.

No comments:

Post a Comment