Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chapter 8: #2.

As a Catholic, I believe in the death penalty. Yes, the catholic and christian church do not believe in it but that is why I love Catholicism. As a catholic, we are told that we have been given the freedom to pick and choose what we want to believe. Just because we are Catholics does not mean that we must believe everything the church says. Catholicism is a denomination of the Christian faith, yes the death penalty is seen as a way to take away one's dignity and right to life but we must remember that times truly have changed as well as there are many cons not having the death penalty. When it comes down to it, I believe we must measure out the pros and the cons of legalizing the death penalty. With everything going on in the world and an increasing number of convicts, we really are running out of space in prisons. Also I have read that the amount of money spent on keeping someone in prison for life sometimes does outweigh the cost of the death penalty. I am torn on this topic as well, but I am leaning towards legalizing it.

1 comment:

  1. “Just because we are Catholics does not mean that we must believe everything the church says.” This sentence caught my attention and motivated me to comment on your post. I am not believed in any religions but I grew up in a Catholics school for over ten years. From what I learned in the Catholics school, they believe people should have the freedom of speak and think. They should have enough knowledge to have their own thought. Besides, I appreciate the way how you analyze the pros and cons of having death penalty legalize. You have proof from the chapter about the heavy costs to keep someone in prison. This is a persuasive argument by showing supportive information and evidence.

    ReplyDelete